Mission, Goals and Objectives
The Steering Committee proposed and the Executive Committee adopted a Mission Statement to reflect the cooperative spirit resulting from the first Summit. This Statement is intended to be used by future committees as a guide in developing the charter for the proposed coalition.
“Encourage comprehensive consistent management of the floodplain along the Colorado River and its tributaries; provide a forum for data exchange; and facilitate a structured approach to managing the complex issues related to floodplain management.”
- Cooperative arrangement for floodplain management.
- Mechanism for sharing ideas and programs.
- Assist local government with technology, emergency management, training.
- Have a single entity partner with which State and Federal agencies can correspond.
- Current Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMS) – Countywide.
- Public Education
- Adopt uniform standards for development.
- Create and maintain accurate and current base mapping.
- Corporate boundaries
- Review and comment on LOMCs.
- Facilitate access to approved LOMCs.
- Maintenance of current H&H models.
- Update Zone A to establish BFE & flood ways.
Emergency Management Objectives
- Facilitate local floodplain management and emergency management program coordination.
- Coordinate federal, state, and local resources and programs
(Project Impact, HMGP, FMAP, Challenge 21, NPDES, and ICC).
- Help local communities meet state requirements for emergency response.
- Facilitate a “flood preparedness plan” annex.
- Promote emergency communication/notification – NOAA, LCRA radios, local media.
- Coordinate state and federal training programs.
- Provide technical training for floodplain management and emergency managers.
- Training for consistent hydrologic/hydraulic modeling.
- Training for stakeholders (insurance, lenders, surveyors, and developers).
- Training for local officials (legal issues as well as floodplain management).
- Public Awareness.
- Maintain a resource pool of Mutual Aid Trainers/Emergency Response Personnel.
Legislative / Legal / Funding Objectives
- Work with Council Of Governments.
- Develop and manage annual budget – Administrative.
- Identify and pursue additional funding for diversified sources.
- Review and educate lawmakers on related legislative issues as a coalition and via lobbyists associated with other agencies.
- Assist with solicitation of federal funds for capital projects.